Thursday, April 12, 2012

Bring it on.

So Senegal.
     I had such an amazing time, met some truly amazing people.  I really loved being in that part of the country, however I wish I had been able to spend some time exploring the country. Here are some images before my camera broke; in the very first of many sand storms.

Monument De La Renaissance, Africane. Dakar, Senegal



 BUNK 3!
 First bedroom, Mbur Senegal.
 First school I worked at.
 Goats, everywhere.....everywhere.
 My 3 sisters (From left to right) Nema, Umi, and Nogaye
 My first Compound
 Inside
Ladies gathering water from the well.


It was such a great experience, once I figure out more ways to tell you all I will.
    Well then the day came. We had all been anxious forEVER waiting to find out where our permanent sites were going to be. It was such a fantastic mystery and I worked really hard to not actually learn anything about the country, just in case any hints about my site were slipped to me (they were over time, luckily I was still pretty shocked when I found out).  Anyway, so Tuesday April 10th, arrives. That morning everyone was so anxious you could read it on everyone's faces. We had one session specific to our vocational groups [sidenote: we had been training essentially as a whole for the past month, only the two days before this had we been broken down into our specific sectors. There were about 48 people, and 9 of us were Agroforesty. It is now 8 after one of us left early. But while everyone was in sessions learning about baby weighing and health things, I was identifying trees and planting live fences. LOVE IT.] and then brunch. THEN. it was time.... We were all led to the basketball court, where there is a massive mural of both Senegal and The Gambia. Then we were all blindfolded and walked around to the point of disorientation. We were each handed a paper. (well I know at least I was, I was blindfolded if you were reading correctly). The countdown.
3
2
1
     OPEN!! I take off my blind fold and I am standing literally almost on the blue ocean and grey area of Cassamance, Senegal. My paper says Kartong, The Gambia. !!!. !!!. Remember that time I lived on the black line that outlined The United States in California? Try that again, this time on the edge of West Africa. I would like to think I am the luckiest girl in the world at this point. This is sadly the best map I could find that at least points out it's placement. If you so chose, you may a MUCH better map of The Gambia and search the bottom of the coast for a better explaination. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kartung According to the paper, my town has a population of 5,000 people with 400+ compounds. It is a small beach town in a rathar organized setting with eco lodges and a beach. MY specific compound has no electricity, but I will be able to get to the internet any time I go up to the training house in Kombo. (where I am now telling you all about it). There is a daily clinic and market, but there is no bank or post office.  My job description as I am given is to
1. Help the women of TRY (an advocacy group dedicated to improving the health of Women through research and education...google it, it's try-oysters.com), fishermen, tourism/businessmen
2. Inspection of oysters and cockles, data collection
3. BaanaFaa projects with WWF (yes, the Wildlife foundation) /TRY
4. Community gardens
5. Beekeeping
...
.....
I am very excited at this point.

I have a host family of about 15 people on the outskirts of the village and I am the 4th volunteer and the family is very experienced with Peace Corps.

So I have a mini dance party.

Then the next morning, it is finally time to head off to THE GAMBIA. After waiting for it for so long and hearing so many wonderful things and being so close, all 18 of us hop on a bus like it's taking us to the land of milk and honey (which as it would soon prove, it actually is).
The bus ride was exceptionally long because the ferry into Banjul was out of service, so we took the long way accross Senegal to Faranfenni. It was the most beautiful thing. We played a game called donkey punch the whole way down. Think of punch buggy in The United States, and replace the Volkswagon Buggys with donkeys. You have punch donkey. Albino donkeys, got 2 punches. My arms were bruised by the time I arrived but it was really amazing. Yes, there are that many donkeys.

So we're here as of yesterday. I can't even describe how amazing it has been. The food, the training HOUSE. The kindness, it really is a completely different atmosphere down here and let me tell you, it feels good.

I'll write more soon. We go to our new training villages for 5 weeks on Saturday, then we have our swear in in May and then I'm off to Kartong for 2 years. We have had one day off this whole time so far so a bunch of us went into Dakar and saw the large statue (the first picture) and walked around a bit. Little dancing on the beach. The usual.
Anyway, it is late now and I intend to take my bucket bath and settle into the couches with a book for the eve.
PS. mail me stuff. Seriously. Mail me stuff. and then in about 6 months, mail me more. pause, repeat. for the next 2 years. Please and thanks.
Also thank you for reading this.

2 comments:

  1. Miss Meg! So happy for you my dear. thank you for the update! Love you. Thanks for helping to change the world for the better. I admire what you're doing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. On to The Gambia. On to the next journey and next new family. Our hearts and love are with you!

    ReplyDelete